Happy New Year guys!
I hope you’ve all recovered from the December shenanigans and not broken too many resolutions already!
I’ve decided that 2016 is going to rock!
I had a great chat with my friend whilst we were out walking the other day about resolutions – ” so what’s your resolutions blah blah ?”. He surprised me by listing all the resolutions he’s made in the past years and always successfully kept. The way he did this was by not making blasé plans with no actual substance, but by making realistic goals and having micro-goals underneath to support them.
For example- Lose Weight =no alcohol,chocolate,lifts (elevators). After a few months, goal achieved.
My goal for this year? (Obviously to become fulltime artist and work from home 😁). Really though it is to just be the best version of myself, have fun and be content. This is a work in progress but there’s a definite shift happening.
There has been little in my life that has made as much an impact as learning to be content and thankful— with my life, where I am, what I’m doing, what I have, who I’m with, who I am
If you are in a bad place in your life, and are unhappy with everything about it (job, relationship, yourself, house, habits, etc.), it can be a miserable thing. But here’s something interesting: it can also be the thing that strengthens you
In the past couple years, Ive had a few ,”This is not my beautiful life! This is not my beautiful house!” moments.
The problem however wasn’t in the external circumstances, but in my mindset — Im now learning the joy in appreciating what I have, instead of focusing on the things I dont currently have or dont like. You don’t need a lot. You just need the basics and some good company along the way.
If you can learn to develop the right mindset, you can be happy now, without changing anything else. You don’t need to wait until you’ve changed everything and made your life perfect before you’re happy — you have everything you need to be happy right now.
Here’s how to start:
- Be thankful . What in your life is amazing? There will be something! Find something, and give thanks for that.
- Catch yourself out thinking negatively – I can’t emphasise this enough! You become your thoughts! Think good ones!
- Have fun every day.-find your happy place. What do you need to be happy? I love simple things, like taking a walk in the woods, painting , drinking coffee- do something that makes you happy every day
- Be nice to yourself. -We tend to criticize ourselves easily, but what if we turned it around and asked, “What do I do right? What am I good at? What is loveable about me?” Make a list. Start to focus on these things rather than what you’re unhappy with.
- Find the gold in people everyone has gold in them. Instead of criticizing people you meet, ask yourself, “What is good about this person? Be careful of people around you who do this to other people too!
- Don’t change yourself for anyone! If you are actively being the best version of you then you’ll attract the right people in your life. Sometimes the wrong ones slip through the net. But if someone comes into your life and needs you to be something your not-take your boot and swiftly eject them back to where they came!
Decluttering and eating well also helps- i guess that’s personal choice though. Have a great January!
Here’s a video from Talking Heads in the meantime. X